Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 17 - Kim & Josh G.

My cheeks hurt and my abs will probably be sore tomorrow, but laughing this much in one night is a sure sign of a successful date, no? It's my favorite way to burn calories! Just throwing that out there now...

Awkward date faces!
So, when Mauren said that Josh was game to participate in our little project, I decided that I wanted to take him out as one of my dates. I had heard such great things about him from Mauren that I knew he'd be fun. I was right...go me! Turns out, though, that classy, attractive, old-fashioned guys do the asking and planning, so I didn't end up asking Josh. Josh asked me. Turns out I'm a fan...lots less stress! :)

Josh asked to pick me up at 6pm and was even so on top of things as to give me a heads up on appropriate date attire, which I appreciated. Our activity was kept a surprise, but to be honest...I like not knowing. I love surprises...even the "surprise...my date's 20 minutes early and he gets to meet me for the first time with wet hair!" (In his defense, he texted me to let me know he was early, which I may have misunderstood to mean that he would be early...as in I still had a little time. Oops! Imagine my surprise when I heard the door bell ring.) I was real proud of myself when I did my hair in less than 10 minutes, though. :)

It became obvious to me that before I even met Josh, he was a gentleman to the core. He proved it even more throughout the evening. Here is a small list of his qualifiers...

1. He called me and asked me out.
2. He picked me up.
3. He complimented me on looking nice (even if a guy is lying...it's real nice to hear)
4. He opened doors.
5. He walked on the street side.
6. He said please, thank you, etc...his mom should be proud.
7. He was super friendly to everyone we met...he knows how to make everyone feel important. 
8. He offered his hand to help me over things...that was new for me, hence why it was one of my awkward   
    moments because I didn't realize he was offering until it was too late. My bad!
9. He always let me walk first in tight areas.
10. He planned and paid for it all. 

I could keep going, but you get the idea. So we were off to a destination unknown to me. As we drove, we got to know each other better and I felt comfortable right away...perhaps a little too comfortable...He pulled out a sillier side of me that usually wouldn't come out so soon. I felt a little bad for him. :) Turns out we have a lot in common though. We like the same books, we both love music, we like to laugh, etc., etc. 

We reached our destination, called the City Center, a place I had never been, but want to go back to. There were stores and restaurants galore, live music everywhere, and lots of people to watch. We went to eat at a place called Cyclone Anayas. It's a fancy Mexican food place with some amazing flautas. The restaurant was low lit and a little noisy, which made us a little concerned for our ability to communicate, but we did just fine. The people next to us might have heard our whole conversation, but I was still able to learn things about him, like...he's had Malaria, he's traveled to various places around the world on mission trips for his church, he loves to cook, and he likes seafood, especially sushi (his one major flaw). 

After dinner we went to Comedy Sportz, a small, improv comedy club where two teams of comedians go head to head in various improv challenges to earn points...kind of like the show Who's Line is it Anyways. Josh scored us front row seats and we prepared ourselves for a night of hilarity. They ask for a lot of audience participation and Josh was quick to throw out random ideas. I think I threw out one suggestion that got used... vacuum cleaner...guess you had to be there. :) The best part about the whole club was that it was hilarious and clean! If anyone, including audience members, says anything crude or uses profanity, they have to wear a paper bag over their heads for the rest of the night! I love when people can just be funny without being inappropriate. And they were! I haven't laughed so hard in a really long time! Josh kept grabbing his cheeks and saying how much they hurt. He warned me, he might not be able to talk to me on the way home to avoid any more smiling or laughing. (I tried to get out a few more laughs in the end for extra torture, though.) 

So when we got to half time, they did a little spiel about promotions, parties, etc. Then they pulled out some yellow cards that we could fill out with our info and what not to be put into a drawing for two free passes to the club. We decided to do it. One more spam email couldn't hurt, right? So I showed Josh my magic fold, which has been handed down to me from an amazing friend. (Thanks, Marianne!) There is a certain way to fold a paper that will increase its' chances of being drawn from a prize bucket. I'd share it with you, but then I'd have to kill you...I don't want that on my conscience. :) Since I have mastered the technique it has worked for me several times. I was confident in my fold, but Josh was a little skeptical. "You just have to have faith in the fold," I told him. So in our magically folded papers went and when they mixed them up, Josh thought for sure they wouldn't be picked. Then they drew the name...drum roll, please...(I tried to type a drum roll, but I'm at a complete loss.)...Kim..........La...Lar...Well, when they paused on my last name, I knew it was me! People have a rough time with that, but who cares! I won!!!! Woot, woot!! The magic fold prevails again and Josh has been converted to the ways of the fold! They brought me up on stage and pretended to take pictures of me. It was grand!

We finished out the night trying to hold our cheeks down to prevent further pain. I do have to mention my one other awkward moment in the parking lot...this is for you Josh... :) So there we were walking to the car and I may have forgot which car was his and I may have walked to the passenger side of the car next to us. As I took my walk of shame back around the other side of the car that wasn't his, Josh was standing there looking befuddled as he held open my door. We both got another laugh out of that one. :) When he drove me home, I was just happy to have had such a fabulous night with such an awesome guy! Our night ended with thank you's and a big hug at the garage...I don't use the front door. :) I got a thank you text a little later that said he'd contracted a laughter headache...that indicates success...I can handle that! :) Thanks, Josh!!

So I'm half way through this project and I can only hope my next 5 dates are as amazing as my first 5!
Kim



1 comment:

Jessica said...

Um, he is DARLING and sounds so fun! So glad you had such a fun time!