Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 16 - Becca & Gary

This next post is in memory of my friend, the former Amy Davies. (She isn't dead. . .just married) She taught me everything I know about disc golf and inspired this date. Thanks Amy! I will never forget you. (Again, she's not dead.) люблю тебя! :)

Hey Blog~

I know you're wondering how I spent my evening, and I'm gonna tell you. . . because I have to. Ha ha! Oh Blog, you know I'm kidding. :) Tonight. Was. Awesome! Disc Golf was meant to happen.

I was a little apprehensive to plan an outdoor activity because Houston weather is ridiculous. I woke up this morning and checked the weather report an was saddened to find that it was supposed to be rainy all day. Noooo! I continued to check it every few hours hoping it would change, but nothing did. I felt like I should just plan on the weather working out for me even though the forecast called for rain all day with a high of 85 degrees. Yuck! Then a miracle happened, just as I was getting my things together the clouds parted and the sun appeared. This was gonna be a good date. Yea!

I met up with Gary at the Disc Golf course at TC Jester park. This course was legit! Complete with 21 holes and N.D.G.A. approved. Neither of us had any real experience playing, so we "warmed up" for a few minutes and then decided that we would blame any poor shots on the wind. Boy oh boy was it windy!

I didn't know a lot about Gary before meeting him today. I had seen him at a few church functions, but we go to different congregations so any type of meeting is completely random. Basically I knew that he was from Oregon and looked cute with facial hair. Apparently that's enough for me to ask you out. I am sure happy I did. :)

As we attempted to get the discs into the baskets, without hitting any runners or cars, we got to know the basics about one another. He works IT for an oil company and has been in Houston for 4 years. We agreed that we both miss mountains, but that Houston has a lot of perks. Being with Gary was just fun. By the time we had reached the second basket I had almost forgotten that we didn't know each other 20 minutes earlier.

Now it's story time. So there we were at hole #4. . . I had read about this hole on the web site and everyone said it was the one they looked forward to playing. As we approached the starting platform I noticed that the basket was on the other side of a bayou. Gary and I looked at each other. "Maybe we should skip this one." he said. In my head I knew he was right. Our skill level was well below what was necessary to clear that bayou, especially with the wind factor, but my pride kicked in. "We can do it!" I replied. I was wrong. I grabbed my disc, got in position and threw it as hard as I could. Alas, that blasted wind caught it and my disc went crashing into the water.

Gary had better luck and his first attempt landed on the concrete. We headed down the steep slope to retrieve his frisbee and find mine.Unfortunately mine was on the other side of the creek. So Gary threw his disc across the water and we headed to the other side of the bayou. Once there, Gary threw his disc up the hill and I plunged into the nasty bayou after my blue frisbee. I found it! I didn't mean to get as wet as I did. The sides were just so slippery. Gary helped me out of the water and we set off to find his disc that he had just thrown into the tall grass. Easier said than done. One would think that a bright pink frisbee would stand out in green grass, but it didn't. After we had been looking for about 10 minutes Gary said, "would now be a good time to tell you I'm color blind?" I almost started crying I was laughing so hard. Needless to say, the grass won. The pink frisbee is lost and gone forever... Or till the city decides to mow that area.

We played 9 holes and called it a game. As punishment for loosing his driver, Gary had to use his putter the rest of the time. That ended up being a blessing. He was way more accurate with it. Ha! As we walked back to the car we talked about life in general. I had a lot of fun getting to know Gary. Tonight was quite the adventure.

The end! :)

Good Night Blog!

Becca

1 comment:

Trixabelle said...

Gary is a GREAT guy!! He is actually in my ward, along with Gavin!!! Way to represent Braes Bayou! :)
~Christi