Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 12 - Kim & Ivan

It's Kim...again...that's right, date number 4! Do the math people...that's 4 dates in 10 days! Who does that?? Oh yea...me!

Well, as of 9pm Saturday night, I had finally figured out what I wanted to do for this rare Sunday date, but I was still dateless and our project's success was in jeopardy. I was starting to panic, but Ivan saved the day and our project! 

When I first saw Ivan at church, there was something very familiar about this cute, abnormally tall Mexican. That same familiarity struck me again when I heard the accent...how did I know him?? Then I finally caught his name and the bell was struck...he was the brother of an old friend. These brothers may sound like and have the same last name as a well known character in a movie involving a man in a black mask and a Sicilian. It's adorable! Anyways, I asked Ivan out for a Sunday morning picnic in the park and thank goodness he said yes!

I researched parks in The Woodlands and discovered the Tom Green Park, which is very close to the church where we would be heading right after our little jaunt. I had no idea that this little gem was there, even though I frequent the pavilion that it's behind. I was worried about what a park date might be like with Houston's unpredictable weather. I was hoping for the best, but was ready for a coldish, gray morning. However, when I got ready and walked outside...it...was...beautiful!!!! The sun was out, the air was warm, and the birds were chirping...for real! This made the whole idea of a Sunday park date way more exciting.  I agree with Jessica when she said that Heavenly Father is helping us out on this project. It was quite the tender mercy!


So, I had asked Ivan if there was anything that he couldn't eat.  There were just two things...shellfish and peanut butter. That ruled out my famous peanut butter shrimp muffins, so I settled on making some cinnamon crunch and lemon poppy seed muffins. I also got some strawberries, blackberries, star fruit, and juice boxes.  We decided to meet at the church around 10am and he drove us from there to the park. 


I would describe Ivan as joyful. He's just happy and it's contagious! I love his laugh. We did a lot of that during our time together. As we drove to the park, which took a little longer because I may have confused left and right, we talked easily and merrily. How could we help it on such a gorgeous day? When we got to the park, we were impressed by the size and beauty of the park. There was a huge green field filled with soft grass you just wanted to put your feet in. We might have...and it was fantastic! We laid out our blanket in the middle of the field and ate our little breakfast. I just couldn't get over how nice it was, literally the perfect Sabbath morning. We ate, talked, laughed and contemplated what it would be like if Houston was always this nice. 

After we ate, we found one of the reasons I had picked this park. On the website, it said that there was a children's labyrinth full of giant books depicting Aesop's fables. I couldn't pass that up! We asked a couple if they knew where it was, but they were clueless, despite having come to the park for over 10 years. Turns out it was right next to us! We set out through the little labyrinth and read some very interesting tales. I think my favorite was The Farmer and the Donkey. Here is the brief synopsis...Farmer- over influenced by others, which leads to...son on donkey, farmer on donkey, donkey on farmer, donkey in river. I love good literature! 


We continued our talking and strolling along the waterway. Ivan said he'd pay me 5 dollars to jump in a catch a duck. As tempting as that was, I refrained even when he said that that was enough to buy a cheeseburger. I really had to hold myself back after that! :) We sat by the waterway and spent the last bit of our time together talking and enjoying the weather. It was such a nice way to start the Sabbath. I really loved my first ever Sunday date, especially because it happened with such a charming and funny Mexican! And although he didn't bring me flowers, he brought me to the flowers, which was just as wonderful! Thanks, Ivan!


I have a little break now, but will rejoin the dating world on Friday! See you then!
Kim




3 comments:

Susannah said...

That sounds fun...and it made me very homesick for "the Mexican"!

987654321 said...

That's wassup!! Luv it!

Kim said...

Ah...the Mexican...he is missed :)