Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 24 - Kim & Justin I.

Well, it's date #7 time and I dedicate this post to our mothers, whose diligent efforts made this date possible.
So this definitely requires a little back story...

There my mother was, chatting it up with her hygienist back in the fall, when lo and behold they discovered they both had a single 30 year old in Texas. What are the odds? So, they have been in communication ever since trying to figure out how and when they could get us to go out. When this dating project popped up, I told my mom that if she really wanted this to happen, now was the time. 

So, I got a phone call last Monday from a squealing mother who said, "guess who's going to be calling you??" Their plan worked and later that night I got a phone call from Justin (yes, another Justin...turns out it was a popular boys name back in the early 80's). He asked me if I wanted to go to the rodeo and see Reba...who doesn't want to go to the rodeo? So of course I said yes and we planned to meet at the rodeo, since he was coming in from Dallas. Little did I know that Houston's lovely weather would be a prime feature of our date.

On Friday, a cold front and large storm moved into town, creating less than amazing driving conditions...Houstonians get a little crazy when driving in the rain...or any kind of weather for that matter. Combine bad weather with typical rodeo traffic and you get an extended freeway stay. It took me an hour and a half to get to the rodeo, but I made it and all by myself too! (It was my first time without a navigator.) So I parked and gave Justin a call, went to the nearest gate and waited under the awning with the workers (It was raining). I didn't realize that the gate that I had chosen was one of the most difficult to find. I told him the nearest landmark was a Ferris wheel...too bad there were 3 in the park. Third times a charm! He was finally able to find me and we briskly walked through the chilly rain and found our seats in the huge 74,000 seat arena. 

A midst the riding, roping, and racing, Justin and I chatted and I found out some very interesting things about him...
1. He is a dentist and will be opening up his own practice in Austin in a few months. (Very impressive for someone so young.)
2. He was born and raised in Snowflake, AZ.
3. We're the same age, which means, we went to school together in 3rd and 4th grade... 
4. Which in turn means he knew my grandmother who was the school librarian for many years. When I asked him if remembered her, he said, "I loved storytime in the pit with her!" It's such a small world! In fact, I used to work in the library after school and help check out books. I probably checked a book out to him. So random!
5. He is a rodeo junkie, even though this was his first time to the Houston rodeo. 
6. He loves country music and Reba happen's to be his favorite. It made me wish I knew more of her songs.  

We went and grabbed some fine rodeo cuisine before the concert started. We both settled on a basket of fries and chicken strips, which he graciously paid an exorbitant amount for...gotta love the rodeo food prices. :) While we ate, one of my favorite events happened...the calf scramble! I love watching teenagers falling all over the place while trying to catch calves...quality entertainment! As this event finished up, we were fascinated as they began to wheel out the stage for Reba in pieces and put everything together. It was fun to watch. Then they warned us the lights were going out and bam...there she was! Now, Reba has been around for a long time, but she is still an amazing performer! I chimed in on all the songs I knew and had a blast listening to the fiery redhead belt and her amazing band play their little hearts out. It was one of the best rodeo concerts I've been to and it was fun to be there with such a fan!




After the concert ended, we fought the crowds to get out and met up with Mauren and a group of friends that were also there to check out the food tents and rodeo art. On the way to meet them, I saw some co-workers and their 4 boys, who we talked to for a bit. Justin was passing out high fives to the boys by the end and I thought that this was a good sign for a dentist...kid friendly. :) I snapped a picture with their oldest son and told him he would be date 7 1/2. He was just too adorable in his rodeo attire! We then met up with Mauren and the gang. We tried some of her funnel cake, which was a new experience for Justin (glad we could introduce him to one of the best parts of the rodeo), and then we checked out the art. Looking at all the art from the kids did not make me feel good about my artistic skills...the artwork was amazing and done by such young artists! Incredible! After perusing awhile longer, we were all feeling the effects of age and decided it was bedtime. Justin and I said our thank you's and goodbyes and parted ways. Despite mother nature's attempts to ruin this date, we had a great time at the Houston rodeo! Thanks to Justin and our moms, I can add another successful date to the list. 

See you next time!
Kim


2 comments:

Alona said...

Fun! I was at that concert! Too bad I didn't run into you guys! :)

Kim said...

There were so many people I know that went to that concert! Everybody loves Reba evidently!