Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 23 - Jessica & Tyler

For my 6th date, I returned to Austin, TX to go out with Tyler, another good friend of Kendyl and Heather's. They gave me his information a few weeks ago, which was actually great because Tyler and I were able to talk via phone and text a couple of times before meeting in person. We established a common love of Cake (the band, although I love the food as well) and he coached me in a couple of areas so I could talk the way all the cool kids here in Austin do so I wouldn't stick out like a sore Houstonion thumb. I felt like I already knew the guy before the date, which makes the whole "blind date" thing much less intimidating. After meeting him, I'm happy to report that Tyler is every bit the gem that the girls said he would be.

Tyler is a good ol' Texan boy, through and through. He was born and raised in Austin (lucky guy!) and everything from the deer head on the wall of his living room to his great boots and charming use of "y'all," exuded Texas in the best way. He's just the type of Southern Gentleman I hoped to find in abundance when I first moved to Texas two years ago.

The original plans for our date got rained out, but luckily Tyler is really flexible and easy going. To be honest, I've been feeling a little worn out with all the "creative" dates for this project (as much fun as they are, they're a LOT of work to pull off successfully!), so I was actually really glad for an excuse to do a classic, simple dinner date where we could just get to know each other better with no fanfare. Tyler chose a great restaurant called Guero's on the infamous South Congress street in downtown Austin (or SoCo, as all the cool kids, and me thanks to Tyler, call it). The food was delicious, the atmosphere fun and Austin-esque, and best of all the conversation was easy and fun.

In no particular order, here are the Top 3 Most Interesting Things I learned about Tyler during our fabulous dinner conversation. (There were way more than 3, but that's all I'll list for brevity's sake) (1.) If Hollywood ever decides to do a sequel to the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" movie "27 Dresses" called "27 Tuxes", Tyler would be the star. He's been in more wedding parties than I've been to weddings, and he's loved it every time. (2.) Of course the topic of family and siblings came up, and OF COURSE Tyler has...wait for it...do you know what's coming yet?...take a wild guess...only brothers. I swear this is not happening on purpose. (3.) Tyler is living, breathing proof that you actually can be ordained as a Reverend online. I thought that was something some silly television writer made up for a funny plotline on Friends, but it turns out it's a real life thing. I was thoroughly entertained and fascinated as Tyler and I discussed the process he went through to be ordained and all the ways he is planning on abusing, ahem, I mean putting to use his newfound power. (Mostly he's just planning on officiating at one of his best friends' weddings)

Tyler, with his boyish but also rugged good looks, charming manner and exceptional sense of humor, made this classic and simple first date one to remember. Just another great reminder of how many high quality men are out there if we just open our eyes to see them. Until #7, this is Jessica, signing out!

(I totally forgot to take any pictures until the very end of the night, AND I forgot a real camera. It's kind of hard to take a good quality picture on your phone when you don't have a fancy front facing camera. The following were the best I could do, but I think despite the blurriness and poor lighting, you get the idea that Tyler is quite the handsome fellow)






No comments: