Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 22 - Kim & Seth

Alright blogging world...I'm back to report another fun date!

So, when this whole project started, a friend gave us a list of guys she knew in the area that could be potential dates. Mr. Seth was on that list. Now, I had never met Seth, but I knew that he was the DJ at most of our church dances. DJ's have to be fun, right? It's got to be a law somewhere. So, when he randomly added me on Facebook last week, I decided that I would use our new found friend status as leverage. Friends don't let friends go dateless! He was nice enough to agree to go out with me and even missed his Brazilian Jui Jitsu class for it.

It took me awhile to decide what we should do on a rainy Wednesday night. We had discussed several options, when I came up with a dinner around the world! I researched a lot of restaurants in the area and picked a different restaurant for each phase of dinner. Houston may not be known for its' mountains, sidewalks, or nature, but it doesn't fall short on the variety of food it has to offer. It was mind boggling and a little overwhelming! Turns out Houston is chalked full of amazing sounding restaurants that I would like to explore someday. How to choose?? Well, I had it narrowed down to 6 restaurants in close proximity, but due to time restraints we ended up narrowing it down to two, one of which I was extremely excited about.

So Seth came and picked me up and off we went! We got to know each other on the way to the only Dominican restaurant in Houston. I served a Spanish speaking mission in NYC and worked with a lot of Dominicans in the beginning. I fell in love with their crazy ways and their amazing food! I was so excited to taste tostones again and get to know Seth, who was totally game for a new culinary experience. We got to Punta Cana and right away I had a feeling that it was going to be good. 

The cute Jamaican waitress told us we could pick our table. (There was only one other couple there so it was a hard decision.) My mouth watered as I glanced over the menu and Seth gave me the reins on ordering. So many options...I'll take one of each! Just kidding! But we did get a good chunk of food. 
Here's the order...

Tostones
Empanadas (one of each kind)
A sampler platter of 3 different kinds of meats
Arroz y Habichuelas (beans and rice for you gringos...best beans ever!)

While we waited for the food, we chatted about our families, work, hobbies, etc. I found out a lot of interesting things about him. Seth is the oldest, with all younger sisters. I am the oldest, with all younger brothers. Funny, eh?  He was born in Australia, but isn't Australian. He's half Finnish and half Houstonian. Crazy! He started DJing a few years ago on a whim and started his Jui Jistu class with in the last year, which shows he has an adventurist side. He is great at asking questions and we had a good time talking until our food came...

My hat goes off to Jarlis, the amazing owner and chef of Punta Cana! It was everything I hoped it would be and more! Que rico!! Seth agreed that the food was awesome...good thing too or we might not be friends. We were eating and Jarlis brought over an extra surprise that he wanted us to try...platanos con miel (plantains with honey)...on the house! Awesome! At this point we were the only people dining in the restaurant and I think Jarlis enjoyed watching us enjoy his food. It was past closing time, but he was in no rush to have us leave and talked with us for 20 minutes or so about opening the restaurant, living in NY, the D.R., etc. I loved it! 


So, Seth and I decided that our around the world eating fest better begin and end in the Dominican Republic. There was no room for dessert! We were stuffed! Seth graciously paid for our meal, we finally let Jarlis close his restaurant, and headed home. Amazing food and great company made for another wonderful date! Thanks Seth!

Kim

Tune in for the next blind date installment tomorrow!






1 comment:

Christy Franklin said...

Haha go Seth! As if you would pretend you're not Australian though....