Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 8 - Jessica & Nick

I've been informed there are some readers out there who want the cliff's notes versions of the dates. So, for you guys: Nick is fun and I love his dimples. We laughed a lot. We hit potatoes with golf clubs into water. We had dessert in a gazebo. The wind ruined my hair. I had a blast.

Now, for those of you who can't get enough of the juicy details:

I went to church on Sunday knowing I needed to find someone to ask out for Wednesday. I looked around Sunday School and saw this guy who I've NEVER seen before sitting ahead of me to my left. I could see cute, messy hair, and a darling dimple that was emphasized when he read a scripture out loud. After class I made a counselor in my bishopric literally run after the mystery boy so I could learn his name. Once I learned it, I asked several people who he was, and no one knew. Finally I found a friend who told me the 2 things I needed to know...he isn't 21 & fresh off of a mission, and he's nice and normal. I found his email address online and sent a message on a wing and a prayer hoping he'd be willing to go out with a total stranger on a weeknight for a crazy dating project. He texted me that night and said he was game.


For those of you who know me well, you know a main theme of my life is how forgettable I am. Seriously, I once went on a blind date, and the NEXT NIGHT I saw the guy at a dance and he didn't know who I was. (And no, he wasn't literally blind, har har). Turns out I found a kindred spirit in Nick. He's been going to the same congregation as me at church for 3 years (I've been going for 2 years), and not only had I never noticed him, but he said an average of 2 people a week approach him to ask if he's new. I hoped that 2 hard to remember people could have the same effect as a double negative and have a date that was hard to forget, and I feel like the mission was accomplished.





We went to a place up in the Woodlands I scouted out yesterday. It has a lit gazebo above a deck with wooden benches that sit over a beautiful lake. I have a terrible sense of direction, but Nick was gracious and laid back while we drove around in circles finding the entrance to get to the gazebo. Once we got there I told him we were going to be hitting potatoes with golf clubs into the lake. Now, I've done this activity more than once and have never failed to have a great time. But I got a flash of nervousness while I was telling him about it. What if he thought the idea was super dumb? I didn't really have a back up plan. Luckily for me, his response was, "uh, how could hitting stuff and making them explode NOT be fun?! The only thing better would be if we could light the potatoes on fire somehow." Oh yeah, Nick's definitely my kind of guy with that easy going and fun attitude.




In the middle of our second bag of potatoes, a security guard came to see what we were doing and I thought we were BUSTED. I knew we'd be ok though when he started laughing when Nick nonchalantly informed him we were just potato golfing. Nice to avoid jails 
and/or fines on a first date.


After we finished off all of the potatoes, I set up dessert in the gazebo. My friend Cortney told me a couple of years ago about "mini s'mores" and I've wanted to make them on a date ever since, so tonight was the night! I brought Teddy Grahams, chocolate chips, mini 'mallows, toothpicks and an unscented candle and we huddled around the little flame and made s'mores to our hearts content! It was delicious and so fun.


I am incredibly glad I happened to see Nick on Sunday and then was brave enough to ask him to go out with me tonight. The guy is a total treasure. He was so funny without trying to be, I was laughing all night long. I was worried that the night might be a little awkward or lagging in conversation because the few people who did know who he was beforehand told me he's really nice but really quiet/shy, plus I get nervous having to spend one on one time with strangers. I felt comfortable around Nick very quickly though and four hours flew by as we easily talked about our lives and interests (while hitting potatoes off a dock with golf clubs, eating miniature s'mores, and sitting on a bench watching the water move with the wind.) He's refreshingly genuine and his candor sometimes caught me off guard, but I love that he had no walls up and is just content to be exactly who he is, and the people around him can take it or leave it. The thing is that who he is, is really great and smart and interesting and wonderfully sarcastic and laid back, so there's no need to censor anyway! My only complaint is that he is so content to sit back and not get to know people, so we've all totally been missing out on an amazing guy!

Well Nick, if you're reading this, your secret is out and you are on my radar!

I'm happy to learn that bravery sometimes pays off in the end (I would normally be TERRIFIED to ask anyone out, much less a cute stranger I've never seen before.) Here's to another successful date in the books!

3 comments:

Mauren said...

Love it!

Becca said...

I told you he was awesome!!!! :) How fun!

987654321 said...

Uberrrr cuteness! Jessica I can hear u smiling all da way over here!! He sounds pretty cool-Potatoes and golf clubs huh?...luv it! My fave entry thus faR..keep em comin!