Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 7 - Mauren & Scott G.

Happy Mardi Gras! Mauren here, checking in after another fun date.

Tonight I went out with Scott Goddard who so graciously agreed to be my date last minute. Being that I had two dates in 3 days, this one kind of snuck up on me so I was scrambling yesterday to find someone to go. Scott, is a really nice guy I know from church and thanks to my friend Charlie who got us in touch, we were able to go out tonight.

Scott showed up at my house just after I arrived home from work, but since he saw the garage door closing when he drove up, he wisely gave me a few minutes before ringing the doorbell. Smart man. For you gentlemen readers out there, please note this is a very good rule to adopt when picking up a date if you find yourself in the same situation. Just sayin.

About 5 minutes after driving up to my house, Scott rang the doorbell announcing his arrival. We then headed off in his massive red F-350 to a local pottery paining place here in town.

On the way we decided to stop at Panda Express for a quick dinner since both of us had come straight from work. Can you believe Scott had never been to Panda?? Poor guy! Granted I hadn't been there in forever myself, but to have never tasted their orange chicken might just be a sin. I'm just sayin. Anyway, we were sure to take care of that so he's now been cured. :)

Scott graciously bought dinner and we sat down to enjoy it for a bit before heading off to our activity for the night. What I knew about Scott before tonight was pretty limited. But as we sat talked I learned that he’s a pretty interesting guy with a very kind and generous heart.

Scott serves as a volunteer firefighter for the Plantersville Stoneham VFD out near Magnolia on a pretty regular basis. He’s also quickly becoming a favorite customer at the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center in The Woodlands, where he regularly donates blood and platelets every few weeks as the donation schedule permits. Now I try to donate blood when I can, too, but I generally wait for them to come to me. For Scott, it’s just a part of who he is and he makes the effort to give when he can. How cool is that?

When we finished we opened our fortune cookies to reveal what words of wisdom Panda Express would shed on us. Since I’m totally one of those people that always wants to know what everyone’s fortune says, here are ours for your viewing pleasure:

  • Scott – “Find the road to happiness by helping others.’’ True. 
  • Mauren – “When the flowers bloom, so will great joy in your life.” Nice!
After dinner we headed to Potter’s Wheel, where we each selected a ceramic piece to paint for the night. I learned while we were at dinner that Scott had actually taken two ceramics classes in high school, so this activity was right up his alley.

When we entered the store he seemed pleasantly overwhelmed with the number of options for painting. Potter’s Wheel has just about everything you can image from toothbrush holders and plates to kitchen containers and mock toys.

Scott studied diesel mechanics in school and loves Disney movies, so it was no surprise that he elected to paint a ceramic “Mater” from the Disney movie Cars – it was like a match made in heaven! I chose a bookworm to paint for my nieces and we headed off to a nearby table to get started.

We chatted as we tried tested our art skills (for the record, I pretty much lack any) and I learned again that in addition to his love of cars, Scott’s also a big fan of big kid toys like four wheelers, canoes, boats and more. He may or may not own a handful of those things himself. :)

He also makes friends easily. As we painted, Scott started up conversations with the pottery class next to us and soon we were all chatting and having a great time together. We shared some of our King Cake with them (it was Mardi Gras after all!) and they repeatedly invited us to come back next time and join their pottery-making class. Some of the pieces they had made were incredible! If I didn’t lack so much creativity of my own, I might actually take them up on the offer.

After we finished, we left our pieces there to be fired and headed home. Overall, we had a great time and I’m glad I had the chance to get to know Scott better. He really is a great guy.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Ok lol, this is NOT the guy I thought you were talking about. But he is darling! Sounds like so much fun.