Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 36 - Becca & Oscar

Blog,

Oh heck! Can I just tell you how much fun I had yesterday? Ok, I will. I had so much fun. My date for the night? Oscar. Our plans? Salsa dancing. I've always wanted to learn how to salsa dance and actually went dancing almost every Friday up at school, but I would usually chicken out when it came to asking the guys to dance. This resulted in me dancing with a group of girls every weekend. Was it fun? Oh yeah! Did it teach me how to let a guy lead? Not at all. Oscar had his work cut out for him.

As with a few of the other dates, my anxiety level increased as the date got closer. This was basically a blind date.  I heard he was a great dancer, funny, and super competitive. (Winner of the pie eating contest three years running). Knowing that my "dancing skills" were somewhat lacking, I hoped that we could add patient to that list too. (FYI, you can). As he drove up to the house I tried to figure out how I was going to greet this complete stranger. Should we shake hands? Just wave? Hug? Lucky for me Oscar got out of the car and gave me a big hug as I was saying, "Hi! I'm Becca!" Problem solved. His easy going and friendly nature set the tone for the rest of the date.

I had tried to find a place that did salsa on Wednesday nights, but I guess the salsa dancers of North Houston take that day off. We were gonna have to make a small road trip downtown. It took no time at all to find something to talk about. Within the first five minutes I was actually kinda bummed that we hadn't become friends earlier. We both like dancing (hey, I don't have to be good at it to like it), Latin music (I like that I don't understand the words so it's always wholesome),  karaoke, and eating contests. (I'm basically a champ watermelon eater. . . it's a fact.)

I relaxed in the passenger seat as Oscar drove me around Houston, eventually stopping at a little El Salvadorian buffet. It was there that I experienced my first pupusa. I don't know if it's just because I was so hungry, but they were amazing! I could eat there once a week for the rest of my life and be a happy camper. It was during dinner that we started talking about the details of who we are. He's from L.A. and is a bio chemical engineer. So not only was he cute and funny, but smart too. Holy night!

After dinner we headed to Sulivan's to get our salsa on. This was one classy joint. Not at all what I expected. The first room we walked into  had a guy rockin' some jazz on the piano. So cool. I could have pulled up a chair, ordered some Shirley Temples and listened to him all night, but we had other plans. The mood changed as we entered the next room. There was a live band on stage and a dance floor full of people. I pulled Oscar aside and made sure he knew that I didn't know what I was doing. He just smiled, took my hands, and we were off. I wish I could report that I magically transformed into Shakira, twirling and gliding across the floor, but that was not the case. I think my arm only hit him in the head a few times, but that's about as violent as it got. It was tough for me to "let go" and just let him "be the man", but once I did I instantly became better. This kid knew what he was doing. He lead me around the dance floor, spinning me around and teaching me dance moves I'd never attempted. I showed him a few moves of my own, don't you worry, and with some practice I think he'll get them down just fine. :)



The next thing I knew it was 11:15. Pumpkin time. We headed back to the car, took some sweaty pictures, and drove home. ( I totally spaced taking the pictures when my hair was not matted to my forehead. I promise I looked better at the beginning of the date.) Once home Oscar walked me to my door where we were  met by my pit bull. Oscar game me a quick hug and headed back to his car. I was so happy that I got to meet him. I had so much fun. Date # 9 was awesome for sure.




Adois Blog!

Becca

2 comments:

Trixabelle said...

Becca! I told you that you would have fun with Oscar!!!!!! Glad you did! :)

Christi

Alona said...

I had to laugh out loud when I read about you hitting him in the head! :) Sounds like a great date!