Thursday, March 22, 2012

Date 37 - Mauren & Adison

Wow, this is it...the last of our first dates (for the project anyway)! I've heard some of our readers express concern about what they'll start to do with their lives after we finish and they don't have our blog to read each morning. Imagine the possibilities!! :) 

We’ve had a lot of fun going out, but the blogging part has been tough. However, I’ll admit that it’s been nice to have an insta-conversation topic everywhere I go. Perhaps I’ll have to find a new adventure instead. :) Back to the current date!

Tonight I went out with Adison, who I’ve know for…well, forever. Ok, not really forever, but it seems like it. Our families have been friends for at least the last 10 years. We spend every holiday together for at least dessert, if not dinner, we have game nights together when out-of-town siblings come home for a visit and our families have even gone on vacation and camping trips together. I even cut his hair from time to time. Yep, we go way back.

Because of that history, I knew I could be guaranteed a good and comfortable evening with Adison. We met up and headed to dinner at Pappasito’s. Adison had never been and I had a gift card so it worked out well! We were seated out on the patio, which was great since the weather was so nice, and we began scouring the menu for food. I recommended the fajitas, which are phenomenal there, but one thing I learned about Adison tonight that I didn’t know before – he doesn’t like to share, especially when it comes to food. Perhaps it’s because he’s the youngest and the only boy in his family, but he doesn’t share. Haha! Needless to say, we ordered our own meals and neither one was fajitas. :)

As we ate, we exchanged stories about our experiences as missionaries for the LDS church. He served for two years in Argentina and I spent 18 months in southern California (Spanish-speaking) so we talked about common foods, cultural differences between the two locations, people we’d met, memories we made and companions we’d spent time with 24/7 in each area where we were assigned to work. It was clear as we talked that Adison was a good missionary – no, excellent missionary. We wrote each other the entire time he was gone, but I feel like I learned more about his mission tonight than I ever knew before and I really enjoyed it.

We also talked during the night about what he wants to do with his life. Adison’s in school and still trying to figure out what to major in, but he claims that his dream job is to become a water park designer. He says he’s going to build them all over the world! So, if you have special requests for designs or features, get them in to Adison. ;) Honestly, I think he just loves water. He’s already anxiously awaiting the next boating trip with my family and despite the cold temperatures of the lake at this time of year, he’d go today if he could.

After dinner we had planned to do an activity at the mall that his sister and one of my best friends, Charlie, had prepared for us, but since we were at a hidden table and the waitress had trouble ringing up the bill, we didn’t get out of there until about 15 minutes before the mall closed. After evaluating two other activities, neither of which panned out, we decided instead to break a rule and go back to my house after dinner for our activity.

I know, I shouldn’t have, but it’s Adison and it’s hard to find something to do at 9:30 p.m. on a weekday in this part of town because I honestly think we considered them all. Now let me assure you, if it had been anyone else, we would have just called dinner good and avoided the whole house-breaking rule, but I’ve known Adison forever, so I decided for this date it would be ok to make an exception.

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love to play just about any video game involving Mario. As my brother Garen once said, you can ask me to play a game and I’ll usually join you. But ask me to play something that involves Mario and my confidence goes up 100 percent like I’m invincible. I grew up on an old school NES. Mario’s kinda my thing.
I recently learned that Adison shares a love of Mario games, too, so we went back to my house where we played (and soundly beat) the first world of the new Super Mario for Wii and we made a great team. Though you work together on the game to beat the levels, Adison kind of schooled me (impressive!) and taught me a lot of tricks I never even knew about (thank you, Randi!). Overall, we had a great time!

Thanks for coming along with me tonight, Adison. I had a blast and was grateful to discover a Mario equal/superior in the process! :)

Well, that’s all folks. That wraps up date number 10 for me in the “first date” round. Voting goes up Monday morning so be sure to visit the blog for details on how to vote for your favorites to help us decide who to go out with again.


No comments: