Thursday, February 16, 2012

Day 2 - Becca & Gavin

Oh Holy Night!!! Can I just tell you that the whole idea of telling the world about my dating life FREAKS me out quite a bit?! It's a fact! I've never blogged before, but I can imagine it must be like keeping a journal. . . a very public journal. I guess this will be my journal's gossipy cousin, Blog, who just can't keep a secret.


Well sit back, relax, and prepare to read of my adventures in dating. :)


Dear Blog, (that's how I still start my journal. . . I know I'm 27. . .it works for me.)


Today has been a full day. It started at 5:30am as I got ready for work and my date. I worked from 7am to 4pm and then met up with Gavin for an outing at the museum. Despite being super tired, I had an instant boost of energy as I saw Gavin pull into the parking lot. All my nerves went out the window as I got into his car and we headed off to our destination.


I've never had a problem finding something to talk about, (anyone who knows me can attest to that) but with Gavin conversation flowed naturally. He is such a laid back kinda guy that I felt like I could be 100% myself with him right off the bat. I met Gavin at church but had never really spent time with him. All I knew was: 1. he was very sweet and genuine with everyone he came in contact with, 2. he's an attorney, and 3. he's way too cute to be single.


The 30 minute drive flew by, and before I knew it we were at our destination. The Menil Collection is a museum that is open to the public Wed.-Sat. and is FREE! Bonus! It's a private collection of a French family and has everything from ancient Egyptian artifacts, to impressionist Picasso, and Modern Art. As we walked around the exhibits we playfully decoded what the artist was "really trying to say". I'm sure the guides/security shook their heads as we tried to think of practical uses for the 3000 year old cobra sculpture ( a lamp, maybe?) or the beautiful gold jewelry box lid ( I would totally convert it into a belt buckle). I think my favorite reaction from the guide happened as Gavin was pointing out the "movement" of a certain piece, and apparently got a little too close. . . The awkward, "Sir! You must stay 2 feet away from the picture!!... Sir?!" was laughable. That woman was ready to tackle him if he got any closer. Sooo funny!


After walking through the 'Impressionist' collection and deciding that it was a little too "out there" for our tastes, we agreed that we were both hungry and set off to see what down town Houston had to offer. We stumbled upon a cute little place called Little Big's and ordered some sliders. The conversation continued to flow as we shared stories and got to know each other a little more. Turns out, Gavin is pretty funny, and has quite a knack for putting together an amazing bagel sandwich. :)
I think what stood out most to me was how much of a gentleman he was to the core. He always walked on the street side of the sidewalk, and as much as I protested, he wouldn't let me pay for dinner. It was easy to feel safe with him.

The drive home was even more relaxed. We laughed as we shared embarrassing stories and talked about our families. As we pulled up to my car he got out and gave me a hug. I had so much fun. If this is what the next 40 days has in store for me, BRING IT ON!!! :)

Good Night, Blog!
Becca

4 comments:

Trixabelle said...

Gavin is in my ward and he is awesome!! Good choice for your first date! ;)
Christi C

Alona said...

I'm glad you didn't get kicked out for Gavin getting "too close!"

Manda said...

I love how you started with "oh holy night". I knew it was you writing just by that phrase! You are such a funny girl! I miss you!!!

Sondra said...

I totally knew it was you writing immediately the minute I started reading this post! I liked Gavin! Fun, fun! Who else do you have lined up? I'm so excited! I can't wait to hear about your other adventures!!!
<3
-Sondra